Sourdough Waffle/Pancake Recipe
For the overnight sponge:
480 grams sourdough starter
448 g buttermilk
240 g whole grain flour
1 TBS honey
For the batter next morning:
½ cup butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda (already adjusted by half for high altitude baking)
This makes a double batch – 6 Belgian waffles and a lot of pancakes…
1. Put the sourdough starter (discarded from your feeds for the day) in a large bowl, add buttermilk, flour, honey then stir. Cover the bowl and allow to rest overnight at room temperature
2. When you are ready to cook separate the whites and whisk until soft peaks form- set aside. Add yolks to batter.
3. Add salt and baking soda.
4. Melt butter and add to batter.
5. Fold in egg whites gently.
Proceed with waffles or pancakes.